Rehab for Men and Women Offering Golf Therapy
As anyone who has been married a while will tell you, marriage can be hard work. When substance abuse enters the picture, it can ratchet stress levels up and wreak havoc on the relationship. Rehabs for men and women can be designed specifically for couples when both partners are in need of treatment.
How Substance Abuse Affects Couples
Nothing can weigh on a marriage or committed relationship more than when substance abuse is present. Addiction causes constant conflicts, deception, and broken trust bonds. Serious problems can ensue when both members of the relationship find themselves addicted to drugs or alcohol. Such difficulties may include:
- Domestic violence.
- Child neglect or child abuse.
- Job loss and/or financial trouble.
- Family instability or divorce.
- Legal problems.
- Social services get involved.
Substance abuse sparks heated emotions and damaging behaviors in couples. This leads to angry outbursts, name-calling, constant arguing, and even physical violence. Children who witness all this pay an especially high price, and may suffer emotional damage as a result.
Seeking help for addiction is the only sane response for couples that find themselves in this situation. When both partners receive treatment at the same time, they can be each other’s main source of support in recovery. A rehab for men and women can help the couple overcome addiction and restore their marriage back to healthy functioning.
What is Golf Therapy?
As a mind/body sport, golf is the perfect activity to include in addiction treatment. Golf engages your brain, your emotions, and your body while also getting you outdoors in the sunshine. While playing golf, you will learn ways to manage emotions, such as frustration, anger, or stress. These challenges are similar to real-world triggers you will encounter in recovery. Learning how to manage these emotions through golf will benefit you in your journey to wellness, and help you avoid relapse.
Rehab for Men and Women with Golf Therapy
When it’s time for a couple to face their substance use issues, they have many treatment options to select from. Does the couple have a passion for golf? If so, discovering a rehab for men and women that also offers golf therapy is a perfect fit.
Getting treatment for a drug or alcohol addiction doesn’t have to be all work and no play. Rehabs that add recreational therapy, such as golf therapy, offer a nice balance that keeps the couple engaged in treatment.
While golf therapy is great, it definitely is not the main focus of a couples rehab. First and foremost is the objective of getting sober together, and then learning how to live a sober lifestyle. Rehab for men and women involves many types of therapy and activities, all of which help couples achieve that goal. These include:
- Medical detox. Prior to entering treatment, there may be a need to go through the detox and withdrawal process. Throughout this process, you will be cared for by an expert detox team. They will guide you through the detox from start to finish, and provide meds to help relieve the withdrawal symptoms.
- Psychotherapy. You will each meet separately with a therapist. During these sessions, you are free to discuss any issues you wish. The therapist will guide you toward making positive changes that will be helpful in coping with emotions and other triggers.
- Couples therapy. In these sessions, the therapist will use specialized therapies for couples in recovery. These include BCT, EFT, and ABCT, which are all behavior-based therapies that guide couples to make needed changes.
- Group therapy. In group therapy, you will gather with others who are also in treatment to discuss topics related to recovery.
- 12-step program. The 12-step program of A.A. is sometimes woven into the treatment process. It provides a step-by-step process that helps you break free from addiction.
- Classes. You will join together to learn about how the brain is affected by substances to gain a better understanding of addiction. You will also work on creating a strategy for avoiding relapse in recovery.
- Holistic. It is very helpful to learn ways to reduce stress, both while in treatment and later in recovery. Rehabs include these methods to help you feel less anxious while in treatment. They include mindfulness, massage, yoga, and art therapy.
- Recreation. To provide balance in the treatment regimen, recreation is added. These may include gym workouts, swimming, golf, or hiking.
How Couples Can Help Each Other in Recovery
When a couple seeks treatment together, they will also be in recovery together. This can be very helpful when both partners are committed to sobriety. Some of the ways couples in recovery can help each other include:
- Mutual support. Getting treatment together provides a built-in mutual support system for the couple as they enter recovery. The shared experience in rehab fosters a sense of understanding and empathy for the other. This comes into play when one partner struggles with sobriety, and the other is right there for them.
- Continued couples therapy. In recovery, ongoing couples therapy can continue the work that was started in treatment. Therapy acts as a support for the couple when they hit a bump in the road and need some guidance.
- Being on the same page. When both partners go to couples rehab together they are taught the same recovery skills, making the tools more effective.
- Looking out for each other. Couples who go to rehab together become each other’s main source of support back home. By having each other’s back, the partners can provide feedback and guidance to each other when recovery is threatened.
If you are a couple that is struggling with substance use disorder, reach out for help today.
Montecito Rehab Offers Luxury Rehab for Men and Women with Golf Therapy
Montecito Rehab is an upscale addiction treatment center that also provides golf therapy as one of its treatment elements. If you and/or your partner are in the grip of drug or alcohol addiction, we are here to help. Call us and ask about our couples program today at (888) 910-9780.